A VISION FOR THE FUTURE OF MEDFORD
Drafted January 2010 by the Medford Vision Update Workgroup
- Preserve parcels, structures, and areas that retain the character of historic Medford.
- Provide a diversity of housing for all segments of the population.
- Limit large format retail and industrial land uses to appropriately zoned areas.
- Identify and acquire parcels for new active and passive parks.
- Expand community facilities, services, and civic spaces.
- Create a Hamlet Center near the railroad station with a distinctive identity that provides a ‘sense of place’ for the community.
- Encourage neighborhood retail and professional offices in and adjacent to the Hamlet Center.
- Provide roadway and streetscape improvements that encourage pedestrian use, calm traffic, and support an attractive and functional Hamlet Center.
- Identify and acquire environmentally significant open space.
- Create green space connections for pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Provide transit service enhancements in the Hamlet Center.
- Provide appropriate roadway improvements to serve existing large format retail and industrial areas.
- Provide sidewalks and other roadway improvements that support safe routes to school.
- Continue to work with community representatives to guide process.
- Modify zoning regulations to insure that future development meets community objectives for Medford’s “Opportunity Areas” and Hamlet Center.
- Designate selected green spaces as sending areas for transfer of development rights.
- Designate the Hamlet Center as a priority receiving area for transfer of development rights.
- Provide zoning codes that encourage safer and more attractive commercial areas.